Saanane National Park
Day Trip - Full Day
Saanane National Park is located within the city of Mwanza Town, 2 km southwest in the gulf of islands of Lake Victoria. It is home to a variety of wildlife, including the Rock Hyrax, a few distinct species of wild cats, Impala, Velvet Monkeys, and De Brazza’s Monkeys –the unique primates in Tanzania found only in this region. Reptiles in the area include Agama Lizards, Pancake and Leopard Tortoises, Pythons, and Monitor Lizards as well as crocodiles on the lake shores. The aquatic part of the park inhabits a variety of fisheries life, mainly Tilapia and Nile Perch as well as 44 different bird species.
With a total area of 02.18 sq. km, including two other islets, Saanane is the smallest national park in both Tanzania and East Africa yet offers stunning natural views of the surrounding islands, the Lake Victoria, landscapes, and beautiful rock formations. The island was named after its former owner, Mzee Saanane Chawandi, who after being compensated in 1960, left the island and turned it over to Tanzanian government. The park also bears a very interesting chapter in the history of the Uganda-Tanzania War, which took place in 1978–1979, when the Libyan Tupolev Tu-22 bombers in attempt to attack Mwanza missed the city and instead hit the Island, killing a number of animals and birds while slightly injuring a worker.
Enjoy a walking tour around the park with an armed guide until lunch time. Take a short break in the afternoon and spend a few more hours exploring the island before boarding a boat and returning to your car, from whence you’ll be taken back to your hotel and arrive in the evening.
- Pick-up and drop-off at your hotel / residence
- Impala DMC’s private and fully equipped safari vehicle
- All park entry fees and taxes
- Delicious lunch box
- Bottled water
- Other soft drinks and snacks
- Any last-minute changes made by you
(Contact us for availability 24hrs prior to departure)
Other Interesting facts about Saanane National Park
Picnics and Bush lunch
Special occasions such as birthdays, wedding, engagement, family day, and team building can be tailored for you by our team.
More about this trip
- Free cancellation up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund(Applies only for bookings made more than 48hrs prior to departure)
- Live Tour Guide available for English, Spanish, French and German nationals
- Available for private groups
- Things to bring: Sun hat, good hiking shoes, binoculars, camera, and empty water bottle (optional)
Other places to visit in Mwanza for a day trip
- Rubondo National Park – A lovely green space in Mwanza teeming with wildlife
- Sukuma Museum – Learn the Sukuma royal lineage and traditional customs
- Bismarck Rock – Mwanza’s famous Landmark and great sunset spot
- Not recommended for wheelchair users and anyone with mobility issues.