Stone Town Experience
Ancient City - Half Day
Stone Town, which was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2000, is one-stop attraction in Zanzibar – perfect for a day trip. Due to its maze-like streets, Stone town is best explored with the help of a professional guide who knows the city like back of his hand to help you get some local insight. The city is renowned for its ancient landmarks that have preserved their original features while also embracing the elements of modernization. History unfolds as you stroll through the narrow streets of Stone Town, evident in the stunning buildings, some of which display Swahili-Omani architecture blended with a Persian-Arabic influence.
The principal slave market in Zanzibar from the colonial era until the 1860s was located in Kelele Square, which you will visit next. The slave chambers are, particularly, the most thrilling in terms of the slave trade history. You will learn about the atrocities individuals who went through this path endured, to help you understand the terrible past and appreciate the free world we are living in.
The Anglican Cathedral, which is located next to Kelele Square, is where you will go next after you have explored the slave chambers. It is a large infrastructure that marks the slave trade abolition in Zanzibar. The Anglican Cathedral Church of Christ was an inspiration to replace the cruelty of the slave trade with a place of worship. A circle by the alter which commemorates the exact spot of a post where slaves used to be tied and beaten, is one of the many slave-era relics that can be found inside the church.
After a well-time spent, you’ll transfer back to your hotel or residence.
- Pick-up and drop-off at your hotel/place of residence
- All entry fees and taxes
- Bottled water
- Other soft drinks and snacks
- Any last-minute changes made by you
(Contact us for availability 24hrs prior to departure)
Other Interesting facts about Zanzibar
Beach exploration and relaxation
Other places to visit in Zanzibar for a day trip
- Jozani Forest National Park
- House of wonders
- Chumbe Island
- Spice plantations
More about this trip
- Free cancellation up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund(Applies only for bookings made more than 48hrs prior to departure)
- Live Tour Guide (native to Zanzibar) available for English, Spanish, French and German nationals
- Available for private groups
- Things to bring: Sun hat, good hiking shoes, camera, and empty water bottle (optional)
- Female tourists are advised to dress modestly, covering their knees and shoulders.
- A round-trip flight from Dar es Salaam can be arranged (additional fees apply)